How can I request a Lag Time exemption from Walmart?
Lag Time is the number of days between the date an item is ordered and when it is shipped. While the standard lag time is 2 business days, Walmart Marketplace allows sellers to apply for a category-based Lag Time Exemption which increases the lag time up to 5 business days. You will need to request a Lag Time exemption from Walmart to maintain good standing with Walmart when selling Print on Demand products.
Since Printify products are printed on demand, make sure to request the maximum possible lag time of 5 business days.
Step 1: Access the exemption request form on Walmart
Click here and select “Items and Inventory” → “Request exemption” → “Lag time exemption request”.
You will be directed to a help article. Select “No” under “Did this solve your issue?” to contact Walmart support about the exemption.
Next, select the chat or email option.
Step 2: Answer the questions in the exemption request form
As a part of the exemption request procedure, the Walmart team may ask you one or more of the following questions. You can copy and paste these answers.
What percentage of your total sales on Walmart Marketplace do these SKUs account for?
If some of your products are not printed on demand, give an approximate percentage of your total sales of the ones that are. If you're planning to sell print-on-demand products exclusively, it is 100%.
What percentage of your catalog do these SKUs represent?
If some of your products are not printed on demand, give an approximate percentage of those that are. If you're planning to sell print-on-demand products exclusively, it is 100%.
Where do the SKUs ship from?
From the United States.
Reason for requesting the exemption.
All Printify products are printed on demand. Depending on the product type, print complexity and printing method, it can take up to 5 business days to fulfill the orders (majority of items are fulfilled within two business days).
As per Walmart policy, all Printify products meet the criteria for lag time exemption: “Items requiring customization, printed on demand, or made to order directly in your facility where lag time doesn't exceed 5 business days.”
If we reject your exemption, how will it impact your business on Walmart Marketplace?
I/We will not be able to sell any print-on-demand products fulfilled by Printify on Walmart.
How many SKUs in each category will require extended lag time?
All of them.
How many days of Lag Time are you planning to add to the SKUs in these categories?
5 business days.
Step 3: Select the product categories that apply to your products
We recommend starting with your most important/top seller categories and applying for 1-2 categories per case (but no more than 4), to make sure they’re processed by Walmart as quickly as possible.
These are the categories that are applicable to Printify products:
- Animal accessories (Animal)
- Baby diapering, care & other (Baby)
- Baby toys (baby)
- Carriers & accessories (carriers & accessories)
- Cases & bags (carriers & accessories)
- Clothing (clothing)
- Electronics accessories (Electronics)
- Footwear (Footwear)
- Health & beauty (Health & Beauty)
- Bedding (Home)
- Home decor, kitchen, & other (Home)
- Jewelry (jewelry)
- Gift supply & awards (Occasion & Seasonal)
- Office (office)
- Puzzles (toys)
- Vehicle parts & accessories (vehicle)
Once done, submit the exemption request form.
How can I check that Lag Time exemption has been applied to all product categories that I need?
- Go to Walmart Seller Center → Items section.
- Click Export → Generate full catalog report.
- When the report is ready, look for the field Fulfillment Lag Time in the spreadsheet.
- For items and categories where Walmart has applied the requested Lag Time, you should see 5. If you see nothing or a lower number than 5, then Lag Time exemptions have not been correctly applied.
- If you notice that some of the necessary categories do not have the correct Lag Time, open a case with Walmart to request that.